I killed a bird today. I don't think it's murder, because I didn't intentionally set out to kill the thing...I swear. So would it be manslaughter? Birdslaughter, rather? If they had court hearings for roadkill I might be convicted of vehicular birdslaughter.
I was driving at 10 in the morning, which is a rarity. I wasn't entirely awake yet. I'm driving along, minding my own business, when I see this bird flying. It lands in the road in front of me. It hops into my lane to grab something, a bug, something to build a nest, I don't know. The distance between us is getting shorter and shorter. It turns and looks right at me. Our eyes meet. I think he was entranced by my Gucci knock-off sunglasses because he just sat there staring at me wasting precious seconds. My right front wheel hit him right when he decided it would be a fantastic idea to take the heck off.
This all happened in a matter of 3-4 seconds. Yes, I cringed when it hit my wheel. No, it never occurred to me to swerve. There wasn't a whole lot of room anyway. I wonder if it was grabbing food for some babies? Did I just orphan a nest of baby birds? Did I just rack up a child endangerment charge? Hopefully the baby mama bird will be able to be a single parent. Oh, Jesus! Do they mate for life?! Did I kill her one true love?! I need to quit thinking about this.
I forgot to check if there were feathers stuck in my wheel. Hmm.
1 comment:
I'm always afraid this is going to happen to me--but they always seem to fly away.
Post a Comment