
So I was at my brother's house this past weekend for my niece's first birthday party, which was super neat, the cake was AH-mazing! But that's not the point of this story. Saturday night, which was really cold, in the 30's or so, I went outside to get my suitcase from my car and I just happened to look up at the sky and notice this giant ring around the moon. I had only seen one or two others before this one in my life, and the difference between this one and the others is that this one was huge. Huge! The other ones I had seen were closer to the moon, not this one. My camera lens didn't do it justice, but this ring was not close to the moon at all and took up a good portion of the sky. After staring at it for a good while I got all scientifically curious as to why a ring like that would form around the moon. My guess was that the air in the atmosphere was so cold that there was an ice layer, or something to that effect, which was acting like a filter to the moon's light. And whadduya know. I looked it up this evening off of an educational site and here is their reasoning behind the aforementioned moon ring:
"The ring around the Moon is caused by the refraction of Moonlight (which of course is reflected sunlight) from ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. The shape of the ice crystals results in a focusing of the light into a ring."
Bet ya didn't know that, did ya? Ya learn something new every day.
1 comment:
Very scientific of you Kristan! I am impressed. Keep up the learning...
Post a Comment