Wednesday, October 22, 2008

he just HAD to do it, didn't he?!

My parents recently invested in a John Deere Gator. I think the main draw was so that my mom could go check out all the property in a comfortable manner, as opposed to her operating our decrepit old 4-wheeler. My dad wasn't quite sure what he was going to use it for, but he has actually found it to be quite useful. Seeing has how the old farm truck barely works (i.e. getting the automatic transmission to switch gears is a chore depending on whether or not it likes you that day, and to tell you the truth I always think the engine sounds like it wants to explode), the Gator is now the main tool with which my dad makes sure the farm is in working order.

It's quite thrilling to go bombin' around in. Especially when someone other than myself (dad, brother) is driving. In such cases I find myself hanging on for dear life, as there are no seat belts and due to the bumpy terrain we tend to be careening over one can easily fly out and be injured, as my mother sadly, yet thankfully, can attest to. My dad and I have been using it to chase down cows lately (check for a future entry on this tale), and my brother recently took me and his son on a ride all over the property. He drove slower due to his 3 year old being on board, however, this did not prevent him from trying very silly maneuvers with the damn thing. Such as, oh, I don't know, seeing how close he could get to the muddy edge of the water in the pond without getting stuck. It worked the first two tries, but in this case the third time was so not the charm.

I've mentioned how the giant family pond is drying up, and even though there are giant cracks on top, it is still very much wet underneath...as all the riders found out. I knew we were in for trouble about a minute prior to getting stuck because he attempted this...

...where we almost got stuck. Then right after that one, he tried to get too close to the water again and I fought for the wheel and tried to steer him in a different, less perilous direction, and of course he fought back for control and nearly got us stuck and then a few seconds later we ended up at the first picture. It was all good fun though. Small adrenaline rush actually. I should get a truck and if it were to actually rain here and cause a mud pit somewhere I might actually have to go drive around in it Gretchen Wilson style like in the Redneck Woman video. But you know I'd get stuck, and I'd have to go get the tractor to get myself unstuck, and really unstucking (okay, that's not a word...but who cares?) oneself is a two person job and I'm not quite sure who the second party would be. Any takers?

1 comment:

Joy and Brian Barker said...

That is AWESOME! I would be your second party to get you unstuck... that would be fun. I would only help you get out though if I could help you get in. ZAlso, about the whole gator thing... he should have just bought a horse or two. You could chase cows for days and not use up any gas at all! Gators are fun, but I think horses are better.